Apple App Store - Number of Applications Downloads & Applications (Apps)
Apple App Store is a digital application distribution platform for iOS that opened in July 2008 and allow users to browse and download applications ( Apps) from iTunes Store. Applications range from business to game applications, entertainment to educational applications, and many more applications available for free or for sale.
As of April 2012, the iTunes App Store has over 600,000 apps available on Apple’s iOS platform and it added around 50,000 in previous two months. Around 200,00 apps are specially optimized for iPad. Apple tightly controls the App store and the approval process for Apps make sure quality of Apps.
According to data collected by 148Apps.biz from iTunes Store:
Total Active Apps (as per May 2012): 635,050; Total Inactive Apps (no longer available for download): 178,579; Total Apps Seen in US App Store: 813,629; Number of Active Publishers in the US App Store: 157,197
According to data collected by 148Apps.biz from iTunes Store- Most Popular Categories: Games (111,164 active); Books (63,604 active); Entertainment (63,432 active); Education (62,755 active); Lifestyle (53,420 active)
The App Store is now available to users in 123 countries and the number of app downloads reached 25 billion in March 2012. iTunes Store sells apps for iOS, as well as music, movies, podcasts and e-books, all of which contributed US$3.6 billion in first two quarters of FY 2012 and total revenues for FY 2011 is US$5.4 billion.
According to IHS Screen Digest May 2011 research, Apple App Store expected revenue of $2.91 billion for 2011, up 63.4% from $1.78 billion in 2010. The report further forecasted Apple App Store revenues to be approximately $4.26 billion for 2012 (76% of Total Market) and $4.98 billion for 2014 (60% of Total Market).
Apple also said developers have made more than $4 billion from the App Store since it was launched in 2008. Apple receives a 30% cut of revenue generated by content sold through iTunes for iTunes operational costs and app developers and content makers get the remaining 70%.
Flurry Analytics reveals that Apple's App Store generates the most revenue for developers that means for every $1.00 an app generates in the App Store, it would generate $0.89 in the Amazon Appstore and $0.23 in Google Play.
According to Fiksu App Store Competitive Index which tracks the aggregate volume of downloads per day achieved by the top 200 ranked free iPhone apps in the U.S. In March 2012, the Index decreased by almost two million daily downloads - a 30% drop - to 4.45 million, down from 6.35 million in February.
The Cost per Loyal User Index measures the cost of acquiring a loyal user for brands who proactively market their apps and for index purpose loyal users are defined as people who open an app three times or more. In March, the cost per loyal user held steady, moving less than 1 percent to $1.30, from $1.31 in February.
Post the hyper demand activity due to iPhone 4S launch in October 2011 and holiday season, dip in march 2012 is expected. Apple Policy against the use of robotic install tactics by app marketers also caused the slowdown but spending by mobile marketers was steady.